Announcements for the week of September 4
- Opening Academic Convocation - Tuesday, September 4, 9:30am, Gilbert Arena (9:00am - Faculty meet in Lundring in regalia.)
- Many of you have heard that Chuck Maxey has decided to retire as Dean of the School of Management at the end of the 2012-13 academic year. Chuck will be staying on at CLU after this year as a full time faculty member. We are launching a search for the next Dean of the School of Management and we have hired a search consultant, Stan Hales, to assist with this process. He will be on campus September 4-5 to meet with various constituents to understand what we are seeking in the next Dean. There will be an “open meeting” for anyone to drop by and chat with Stan Hales about your perspective on the next Dean of the School of Management. If you would like to provide input, please come to Swenson 119 from 11am-noon on Wednesday, September 5.
- The new undergraduate and graduate catalogs are now available and posted on the Registrar's Office web page at http://www.callutheran.edu/registrar/catalogs/. Starting with the 2012-2013 catalog, we will be doing annual graduate and undergraduate catalogs. As with the last catalogs, we will not be issuing any printed versions . We will be sending out information to all of the new students with the URL for the catalog this week and after the last day to add, to make sure that all of the new students are notified. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Maria Kohnke at x3105.
- If you attended the 2012 Faculty Retreat at the Ventura Beach Marriott, please take a few minutes to complete this very brief survey: Faculty Retreat 2012 Survey . We look forward to your responses so that we can make next year’s Faculty Retreat even more responsive to your interests.
- Imagining Venice, Watercolors by Terry Spehar-Fahey, exhibit in the Kwan Fong Gallery through Sept. 28. Artist's Reception, Saturday, Sept. 15, 7pm. For more information visit Kwan Fong Gallery.
- NO Faculty Lunch this week. The first Faculty Lunch is Wednesday, Sept. 12, 11:30am-1pm, Roth Nelson Room.
- University Chapel, Thursday, Sept. 6, 11:25am, Samuelson Chapel.
- The Center for Teaching and Learning’s lunch series this Thurs., Sept. 6, from 12:15 to 1pm, is in SBET 127. Erica Cirillo-McCarthy, Writing Center Graduate Program Director, will present "CLU Graduate Student Writing Support: New Opportunities." Lunch will be served. If you would like to propose a topic or lead a Series session, please contact Joan Wines at x3277.
- Chanticleer: An Orchestra of Voices in Concert, Thursday, Sept. 6, 8pm, Samuelson Chapel. For more information, contact Nicole Barnes at x3306.
- Western Salon: Readings from the West - The CLU English Department presents readings of early American poetry and literature with Western themes, Saturday, Sept. 8, 2pm, William Rolland Gallery of Fine Art. For more information, contact Jack Ledbetter at firstname.lastname@example.org .
- As you prepare your syllabi, please keep these items in mind:
- An UPDATED list of Fall 2012 events submitted by faculty that you may want to include in your syllabi can be found by clicking on this link: Fall Events
- CLU will be holding an Earthquake Drill on Thursday, October 18, in conjunction with the California Shakeout Earthquake Awareness Day. We are not announcing the time of the drill, but it will require an evacuation of all buildings for approximately 30 minutes.
- Please note that the day before Thanksgiving, Wednesday, November 21, is designated as a "reading day" and no formal classes will be held, however, you SHOULD give an assignment for this day.
- In an effort to be sustainable, please consider NOT handing out a paper copy of the syllabus to your class, and just providing it through Blackboard.
- The School of Management presents Unleashing the Power of Social Media, Thursday, Sept. 13, 5:15-7pm, Lundring. Learn from Teri Thompson and Amber Sims Hinterplattner, two experts in the field of Social Media Marketing, as they share ways to maximize your marketing effectiveness and increase your presence online. Admission is free. Please RSVP at SOMRSVP@callutheran.edu or x3091.
- 2012 Francophone Film Festival presents Les Femmes du sixième étage (The Women n on the Sixth Floor), Friday, Sept. 14, 7:15pm, Preus-Brandt Forum. All films are subtitled in English. Admission is free. For more information, visit www.callutheran.edu/events .
- Faculty Keyboard Recital given by Eric Kinsley, Sunday, Sept. 16, 2pm, Samuelson Chapel.
- All faculty are invited to a reception to welcome the new MPPA Director, Dr. David Powell, and thank Dr. Herbert Gooch for his years of service as MPPA Director. Thursday, Sept. 20, 5-7pm, Roth Nelson Room. Refreshments will be served.