Administrative Position (exempt)
Position TitleHead Coach - Women's Basketball
Basic FunctionUnder the supervision of the Director of Athletics, the Head Women’s Basketball Coach plans, organizes, and provides leadership to a comprehensive, competitive and successful Division III intercollegiate women’s program. The Head Women’s Basketball coach is responsible for day-to-day operations, scheduling, fundraising, recruitment, camp facilitation, game day facilities preparation/oversight, and budget for the California Lutheran University women’s basketball program. The Head Women’s Basketball Coach supervises and oversees the operation of the Varsity and Junior Varsity women’s basketball programs and their assistant coaches.
Representative Duties• Carries out all operational and basketball specific responsibilities necessary to meet or exceed the objectives for recruitment and coaching of NCAA Division III intercollegiate women’s basketball.
• Effectively supervises appropriate personnel and processes all associated personnel actions in a timely and accurate manner, including managing program budgets and travel organization.
• Manages budget as approved by the Director of Athletics. Major areas of budgetary control include equipment purchases, travel, recruiting, telephone, consultation, guarantees, team costs during vacation periods, and rentals. Other areas include, but are not limited to, postage, printing, awards, subscriptions, advertisements, and miscellaneous items.
• Recruits highly skilled student-athletes for the women's basketball team who meet and/or exceed the admissions standards of Cal Lutheran University.
• Participates in the orientation of women’s basketball student athletes and assistant coaches to the policies and regulations of California Lutheran University (CLU), the CLU Department of Athletics, Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SCIAC) and the NCAA.
• Monitors the academic progress of members of the women’s basketball team.
• Participates and engages in fundraising/public relations functions to support the women’s basketball program and supports all activities associated with the Victory Club (the primary fundraising function of the Cal Lutheran Athletic department).
• Participates in events and initiatives within the Department of Athletics and on behalf of the Athletics Department, which will include regular participation in nights and weekend programs and events; attends all Athletic Department required meetings, University functions and special activities.
• Coordinates, develops and implements practice sessions for the women’s basketball team.
• Coordinates, develops and implements a competitive schedule for the women’s basketball team as part of the Head Coach’s responsibility for competitive athletics events management duties.
• Coordinates travel arrangements and lodging in conjunction with the Director of Athletics and the rules and regulations of the institution.
• Selects, supervises and evaluates assistant basketball coaches.
• Oversees the conduct of student athletes and assistant coaches to ensure they are in accordance with all Cal Lutheran, SCIAC and NCAA standards.
• Counsels student athletes in sport participation and develops, motivates, and assists in them in the pursuit of academic and athletic excellence.
• Collaborates effectively with the Admissions Office in enrollment of student-athletes.
• Encourages athletes to participate in Service Activities as an integral part of their experience and in accordance with the Cal Lutheran University mission.
• Performs game management duties as assigned
• Participates on University committees as assigned
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Knowledge Of• Coaching intercollegiate women’s basketball
• Recruiting practices and strategies for women’s intercollegiate basketball
• Budgeting for intercollegiate basketball
• Fundraising for intercollegiate basketball
• Title IX, California Lutheran University (CLU), and Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SCIAC) rules, policies, and procedures
• Strategic planning and scheduling of contests for intercollegiate basketball
• Community Service programs and activities
• Basic liability and risk management issues
Ability To• Lead, develop and motivate female intercollegiate student athletes.
• Build teams that are consistently winners within the guidelines of the NCAA and SCIAC (Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference).
• Develop, facilitate and manage programs and events.
• Establish and maintain collaborative working relationships with student athletes, coaches, game officials, University officials, administration, members of the community, supervisors, and other employees of the University, particularly in a stressful and competitive environment.
• Speak confidently in public to both large and small groups.
• Organize and manage projects.
• Maintain the highest personal, professional and ethical standards while leading the women’s basketball program.
• Recruit highly skilled student-athletes for the women's basketball team.
• Effectively teach fundamentals of basketball during on-the-floor practice sessions.
• Understand the NCAA D-III philosophy as it pertains to academics and athletics.
• Communicate effectively, both in oral and written forms.
• Plan and direct fund raising campaigns that enhance the private fund-raising efforts associated with the athletic program and women’s basketball.
• Comply with all policies and regulations of California Lutheran University.
• Prepare and maintain accurate records and reports.
• Drive or transport student athletes or other students to team activities and/or athletic events as necessary.
• Effectively counsel student-athletes on requirements for personal conduct, academic performance, sportsmanship and athletic achievement.
• To understand and be open to the needs and concerns of student athletes.
• To be accessible and approachable.
• Take on special projects within the Athletic Department to support overall operations as assigned.
Education and Experience• Bachelor’s degree is required; master’s degree is preferred.
• Minimum of 2 years of basketball coaching experience at the collegiate level is required. Candidates with prior NCAA D-III head coaching experience are preferred.
• A proven record of integrity, high principles, and demonstrated skill in developing/motivating student-athletes, both academically and athletically, will be considered in determining the successful candidate.
Working weekends & evenings required.
Contact with dissatisfied or abusive individuals.
Driving a vehicle to conduct work.
Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person or on the telephone.
Seeing to read a variety of materials.
Sitting, standing for long periods of time.
Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard.
Lifting basketball equipment
Dexterity to demonstrate basketball techniques
Running to demonstrate basketball techniques
Application ProcedureCompleted Application Packet includes:
• CLU Application
• Cover letter outlining your qualifications for this particular job
Only complete packets will be forwarded to the search committee. Please submit your cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com, or mail to:
California Lutheran University
Human Resources, MC1100
60 W. Olsen Road
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
California Lutheran University is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process can be provided to individuals with qualifying disabilities. Please contact the Human Resources Department for further information or to request an accommodation.