Support Staff Position (non-exempt)
Position TitleConferences and Events Coordinator
DepartmentConferences and Events/Auxiliary Services
Salary ($US) and BenefitsSalary Range: $17.35 - $22.56
Basic FunctionUnder the general direction and supervision of the Director of Conferences and Events and Director of Auxiliary Services, the Conferences and Events Operations Coordinator performs a broad range of customer service, administrative support, and operational duties for the Conferences and Events Department. The position requires hands-on participation and will include a substantial role in the management of and participation in day-to-day operations of the Conferences and Events Department; such duties also entail managing student assistants within the Department and serves as the primary liaison for student assistants and the Director of Conferences and Events.
Representative Duties• Participates (hands-on) in conferences and events set up, which includes setting up tables, chairs, stages, risers, music stands, and trash cans and participates in trash disposal.
• Provides work direction and guidance to student assistants during regular work hours, including scheduling student assistants for projects and assignments.
• Provides work direction and guidance to the Conferences and Events crew by coordinating tasks that include the setting up of tables, chairs, stages, risers, music stands, and trash cans as well as coordinating trash disposal and selling drama tickets on a year-round basis.
• Coordinates and participates in the preparation and clean-up of Residence Halls during the summer, which may involve moving and setting up furniture.
• Participates in public relations functions through positive relations with all visitors and attendees of conferences, events, and camps throughout the California Lutheran University campus.
• Assists in the development of strategies, goals, and objectives for the Department of Conferences and Events.
• Collaborates with the University Marketing Department to contribute content associated with the Department website, ensuring that the website is current and up-to-date.
• Working in conjunction with the Director of Conferences and Events, assists in handling student assistant disciplinary issues.
• Conducts food-handling safety and health inspections for events, which includes inspecting food trucks for safety and health compliance in preparation for events and as needed.
• Compiles and reviews statistical data for events, conferences, scheduling, and calendars.
• Develops and prepares various periodical and ad hoc reports and summaries.
• Monitors facilities and specifications of scheduled events, camps, conferences, and summer groups to ensure proper logistics and successful implementation.
• Requests unauthorized, unwanted visitors to vacate facilities or University premises in coordination with University Campus Safety.
• Manages storage and inventory of University events equipment.
• Interfaces with a multitude of contacts, including contractors, constituents, and key individuals to successfully coordinate and manage logistics for events.
• Manages various Departmental projects by establishing and coordinating project briefs, schedules, and checklists for projects and assignments.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge OfBasic and general audio-visual and computer systems.
Events set up.
Event management practices.
Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and other relevant software.
Principles and practices of planning.
Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
Customer service techniques.
Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
University mission, goals, and objectives.
Ability ToActively listen to understand conveyed information and to ask questions as appropriate.
Organize, prioritize, and time-manage multiple tasks, assignments, and projects.
Assemble, organize and prepare data for records and reports.
Interact with professionalism, courtesy, and tact.
Use critical thinking skills to understand and resolve issues, complaints or problems.
Compose correspondence and written materials independently.
Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
Independently take initiative and lead on projects and assignments.
Implement processes to improve workflow efficiency.
Learn, interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
Work independently with minimal direction.
Meet schedules and deadlines.
Work effectively with constant interruptions.
Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
Operate a variety of office equipment, such as computers and related software, printers, calculators and copy machines.
Function well as a team member.
Education and ExperienceAny combination equivalent to: Bachelor’s Degree (a degree in the areas of Business, Hospitality Management, or Organizational Leadership is preferred) and some related experience in conference and event services or in the hospitality industry required. Experience in an educational institution setting and supervising student workers is preferred.
• The position requires heavy hands-on participation in an events set-up environment, which may require lifting objects
• Valid California Driver’s License
• ServSafe certification is required within three months of employment
• Ability to work a flexible schedule
• Ability to work overtime
Public engagement environment.
Subject to driving a vehicle to conduct work as assigned.
Position may involve some exposure to trash, odor, laundry, etc. associated with clean-up.
Lift, carry, or move up to 50 pounds.
Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard.
Standing and Sitting for extended periods of time.
Walking to conduct inspections of buildings and grounds and to supervise crews.
Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person or on the telephone.
Application ProcedureCompleted Application Packet includes:
• CLU Application
• Cover letter outlining your qualifications for this particular job
Only complete packets will be forwarded to the search committee. Please submit your cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com, or mail to:
California Lutheran University
Human Resources, MC1100
60 W. Olsen Road
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
California Lutheran University is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process can be provided to individuals with qualifying disabilities. Please contact the Human Resources Department for further information or to request an accommodation.