Support Staff Position (non-exempt)
Position TitleAdministrative Assistant
DepartmentCenter for Academic & Accessibility Resources
Salary ($US) and BenefitsSalary Range: $14.74 - $16.83
Basic FunctionUnder the leadership of the Director of the Center for Academic and Accessibility Resources (CAAR) and in support of the Director of Retention, assists with planning and coordinating various functions and activities related to the office, including greeting visitors, answering telephone calls, and presenting accurate information regarding services to the California Lutheran University community.
Representative Duties• Contributes to a positive and professional work environment.
• Supports all CAAR-related services by organizing front office details, scheduling appointments for staff members, and responding to requests for information regarding University programs, policies, procedures, and regulations.
• Maintains confidentiality and discretion with regards to a variety of records that includes keeping security of personal information in accordance to University rules, policies, and procedures.
• Assists with the preparation, organization, and coordination of retention objectives, academic support services, and accessibility.
• Generates comprehensive narrative reports of statistical data.
• Prepares related correspondences of various components of CAAR programs and services, including retention data, the Students Taking Academic Responsibility (STAR) program, Academic Difficulty Notices, Faculty Advisors, incoming student details, and other tracking as needed.
• Oversees all functions of the CAAR student staff, including leading the hiring details, providing office training, managing work schedules, organizing daily assignments, evaluating performance, approving timesheets, and offering guidance as appropriate.
• Represents CAAR by supporting CAAR and the University’s mission through words and actions for various campus events, including CAAR events, orientation, and commencement.
• Provides support to the Director of CAAR and Director of Retention, including performing other duties as assigned.
OCCASIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assists with the coordination and administration of proctored exams.
• Maintains CAAR information on the website, brochures, and other related media.
• Verifies data for accuracy, completeness, and compliance with established procedures.
• Manages administrative details with ordering office supplies, handling purchase receipts, preparing expense reports, and maintaining budget details as directed.
• Offers technical support with regards to Datatel, Informer, Contribute, creative media, and other technology as needed.
Knowledge Of• CAAR programs and services.
• CLU policies and procedures, including the Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
• Best practices of performing administrative duties, including record keeping.
• Public relations etiquette.
• Use of proper English: grammar, punctuation, spelling, and vocabulary.
• Computer software programs, including Microsoft Office and Datatel.
Ability To• Self-motivate, self-direct, and initiate ideas relevant to CAAR.
• Complete work with many interruptions.
• Type at 60 words per minute from clear copy.
• Operate a computer and other assigned office equipment.
• Effectively plan, organize, and prioritize a variety of assignments to meet timelines.
• Speak in public to all constituencies, particularly as it relates to CAAR services, utilizing interpersonal skills of tact, patience and courtesy.
• Establish and maintain cooperative, professional, positive, and effective working relationships with others, including students, faculty, and other campus administrators.
• Communicate effectively, in both oral and written forms.
• Handle documents with sensitive details and maintain confidentiality according to FERPA.
• Prepare and maintain comprehensive narrative and statistical reports.
• Create and maintain CAAR webpage, brochures, handouts and other relevant media as needed.
Education and Experience• Bachelors Degree from an accredited institution required and a minimum one year of experience with a comparable mix of education, training, and customer service required. Three years experience working in a higher education setting preferred.
• Office setting with constant interruptions and multiple projects.
• Varied schedule with possible evening, weekend, or holiday duties.
• Seeing to read and proof a variety of materials using different mediums.
• Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard.
• Hearing and speaking to exchange information.
• Sitting or standing for extended periods of time.
• Maneuver around campus at short notice.
Application ProcedureCompleted Application Packet includes:
• CLU Application
• Cover letter outlining your qualifications for this particular job
Only complete packets will be forwarded to the search committee. Please submit your cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to:
California Lutheran University
Human Resources, MC1100
60 W. Olsen Road
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
California Lutheran University is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process can be provided to individuals with qualifying disabilities. Please contact the Human Resources Department for further information or to request an accommodation.